When it comes to robust flavor and an instant jolt of energy, nothing compares to espresso. Served in small, easy-drinking shots, espresso is a full-flavored; concentrated form of coffee made by machines that push pressurized hot water through finely ground coffee beans. In the past, you had to rely on baristas to make this type of coffee for you. However, now you can have some of the best espresso machines right in your home.
We at Taber’s Best Reviews love our coffee. So we decided to take the time (hours upon hours) to research and write up our findings in this list of the top espresso machines for the home.
In this article, you will find some of the best machines where money is no object. And you will find machines priced under $500 dollars and under $200 dollars so all of you can enjoy a fresh cup of espresso or cappuccino first thing in the morning.You will find a quick comparison chart of the best espresso makers, and then below you will see a mini review of each machine.
But before we go onto the list, here is a helpful video on how to buy an espresso machine by Which?
How We Chose These Machines
In making this list of espresso machines we kept 3 things in mind: Features, price, and customer satisfaction.
One of the most important things about purchasing a new espresso machine is the features that the espresso maker has. Does it have different settings and attachments? Is it easy to operate? How well is it constructed? What type of warranty does the espresso maker?
All of these things are important in choosing your new espresso machine, or deciding which one will be an excellent gift for a friend or loved one. So that is what we looked for in an espresso machine. We only picked brewers that had one or more of these options.
We spent over 40 hours researching and writing this list of espresso machines so you wouldn’t have to spend your time doing the research. Now you can start spending more time with your family and friends drinking great espresso, and less time researching on the internet.
Price Of The Machine
We split up the price ranges so we could share machines in anybody’s budget range. The best ones are more expensive, but we found some great models that are between $500.00 and $200.00. That being said, the pricier espresso machines usually are the better quality models that have better features are more comfortable to use. It is how things work in this world. You get what you pay for.
However, if you don’t need the absolute best espresso maker right off the bat, we have options for you at the end of the article that is quite inexpensive.
Most people buy an espresso machine to make the type of coffee they love and their quality of life better. We made sure that we only listed the espresso makers that will accomplish that goal.
Customer Satisfaction And Rating Of The Espresso Machine Brands
Every espresso machine that we have recommended as top in their class are rated by customers at 80% or higher depending on the rating system used on different websites.
We also read all the individual customer reviews to see how well the manufacturer responded to customer issues and how well people recommended these machines. We only took into account customers with a verified purchase. They are real buyers reviewing the product.
Which Is The Best Espresso Machine For The Home?
Picking the best espresso machine for you depends on your tastes. Do you want to grind your coffee beans? Do you want to make cappuccino? How often do you drink espresso? How large is your cup? Do you need to serve multiple cups of espresso?
These are the type of questions you need to think about when buying an espresso machine. Not all of the espresso makers will fit your need.
Here is our list of espresso machines that we think you should consider.
Best Espresso Makers
There are three different types of espresso machines that we are recommending. They are super-automatic, semi-automatic and capsule or pod machines. We even threw in a high-end coffee maker just in case you are lost and was looking for flavored coffee and thought it was espresso. We separated them by quality and price. We give our top recommendations and then give you options under $500.00 and $200.00.
Here are three espresso machines that we feel are the best of the best overall.
Editors Choice For Best Espresso Maker 2018
After researching all the espresso makers including those made by De’Longhi, Nespresso, and Breville, here is our top choice for the best machine.
- Patented "Cappuccino System" frother that mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth
- Easy-to-use rotary and push button control panel with programmable menu settings and beans container capacity is 8.8 ounces
- Grinds beans instantly with the patented, compact and easy-to-clean "Direct-to-Brew" system. Use your favorite coffee beans to create your perfect espresso. Beans with less visible oil, usually a medium roast, are recommended for best grinder performance
- Professional-quality, conical low-pitch burr grinder with adjustable grind fineness.Maximum cup height: 4.25 inches
- Utilize De'Longhi's specialized call center for help in setting up and maintaining your machine at 866-528-8323 (LatteBest)
First Runner-Up For Espresso Machines In 2018
Here is our second choice in the espresso machine category.
- 15 Bar Italian Pump and 1600W Thermo coil heating system
- Purge Function: Automatically adjusts water temperature after steam for optimal espresso extraction temperature
- Stainless steel conical burr grinder with 1/2 lb. sealed bean hopper; Voltage: 110 - 120 Volts
- 67 fl.oz (2L) removable water tank with handle
- Newer model of the Breville BES860XL Barista Express
Honorable Mention For Top Espresso Machine For 2018
And finally our third choice for the top espresso machine.
- The all new and improved Ascaso Dream UP V3 Espresso Machine is easy and compact, but performs like a commercial machine, and with a dozen finishes to choose from, will look great in any kitchen. Polished Aluminum. Made in Spain. 2-year warranty.
Best Espresso Makers And Top Espresso Machines Under 500 Dollars
There were a lot of good choices in the espresso machine category. We did not want to fail to give credit where credit was due. So here are more espresso machines that we feel would be a good choice for the money as well. We just didn’t find them quite the best of the best.
- 15 bar Italian-made pump starts with low pressure to bloom coffee grounds, then gradually increases pressure for extraction
- Extract one or two espresso shots at a time; Manual control of espresso shot volume
- 1- and 2-cup single and dual wall filter baskets included for use with freshly ground or pre-ground coffee beans
- Steam wand for steaming and frothing milk, 61-ounce water tank capacity
- Includes Razor dose trimming tool, 1- and 2-cup single and dual wall filter baskets, stainless steel milk container, and water filter and water filter holder
- 4 cups sizes including americano, Espresso, Lungo, and Ristretto; designed for use with Nespresso capsules
- Hot water function: separate spout for hot water and americano preparations
- 3 temperature settings (medium, hot, Extra hot)
- Automatic Power-Off after 9 minutes. Heat-up time in under 30 seconds
- Intuitive LED alerts
- Capsule tasting pack included
- Pod-free single serve and carafe coffee system with Hot and Over Ice Carafe
- Custom Brews: Classic, Rich, or Over Ice; or Signature Brews: Specialty and Cafe Forte
- Custom Brew Sizes: Cup, XL Cup, Travel Mug, XL Multi-Serve, Half Carafe, and Full Carafe
- Built-In frother to brew, froth and drink-all in your favorite mug.Advanced Thermal Flavor Extraction Technology and Auto-iQ One-Touch Intelligence
- If the Drip Stop indicator is illuminated, and the drip stop toggle is set to the open position (denoted by the image of a water droplet), ensure the brew basket is properly inserted
- Unit Includes Measuring Scoop, Built-In Frother, (20) Recipe Book, 50 oz. Coffee Ice Pitcher w/ Lid
Good Espresso Makers And Espresso Machines Under $200.00
- Pump driven and 15 bars
- Automatically self primes
- Use pods or ground coffee with the convenient patented filter holder
- Craft cappuccinos or lattes with the patented easy to use frothier
- 44 oz. and 1.3 litter removable water tank.Never install the appliance in environments where the temperature may reach 0°C (32°F) or lower (the appliance may be damaged if the water freeze
- Utilize De'Longhi's call center for customized help setting up and maintaining your machine at 1-800-322-3848
- Semi-automatic 3-in-1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15-bar pump system brews rich-tasting espresso coffee
- Trouble-free automatic milk frother removes the guesswork
- One-touch control panel for drink selections
- Easy-fill, removable water and milk reservoirs
- Cord length: 26 Inches & Watts: 1040
- Enjoy rich, barista-quality espresso at the touch of a button with this compact, easy-to-use coffee machine by De'Longhi
- Simply pop in a Nespresso capsule (original line), place a mug underneath the spout, press the button for the desired size, and voila-fresh, delicious espresso brewed in seconds
- Thanks to quick-heating thermoblock technology, the Inissia is ready to brew less than a minute after it's turned on, and an automatic energy-saving feature turns the machine off after nine minutes of inactivity
- The most compact and affordable De'Longhi machine available, Inissia is perfect for dorm rooms, small kitchens, campers and more
Final Thoughts On These Home Espresso Machines
Once you have experienced the espresso that these machines produce, you will never again go to Starbucks to buy a cup of chalk. You will be in coffee lover’s paradise.
We hope that this article on the best espresso makers has helped you decide which is the best espresso maker for you.
However, if you would like more information on espresso machines, then we suggest you read our espresso machine reviews, and informative buyers guide.